In addition to 4 years and counting as a digital publication, Geeky Freaky is proud to announce the beginning of our first print publication. A quarterly release, Geeky Freaky Magazine features artists, photographers, costumers, models, makeup artists, hairstylists, bodypainters, cosplayers, tattooists, musicians, tinkerers, builders and weirdos across a variety of unique themes and genres.
We are now taking submissions for the inaugural year. You can view our moodboards for each theme on Pinterest. Submissions for each magazine are only accepted during the listed submission period. While mainly photography based, each issue also features Q+A with groundbreaking artists in the theme, as well as short stories, reviews, original op-eds and more.
We do not pay you to publish your work, and at this time we can only provide one free copy per submission. We will ask for an address to ship to when we accept your work.
We will absolutely send you tear sheets shortly after the publication with your work has gone live. We ask you keep your photos off social media before publication should it be accepted for a cover. We reserve the right to remove your work without warning should we find the images published online before the release of the magazine. This is true only for work chosen as the cover – while we would prefer unpublished, unseen images for our magazine, we realize we’d be missing out on a lot of great work if we limited ourselves to work that has not been shared on social media! It’s ok if the images you submit are older images so long as they have not already been published in other print media.
To submit you need:
- High quality, high resolution pictures that fit our current theme.
- Permission from the copyright holder to submit, and from the model to have their pictures published.
- Credits for everyone involved in the creation of the images – photographer, model, makeup artist, hairstylist, bodypainter, wardrobe stylist, etc. We believe in giving credit where credit is due – please do your best to have complete and accurate credits.
The pictures MUST:
- Be 300 DPI, at least 1000 pixels on the smallest side.
- Be appropriate for the theme. Our themes are more niche than the majority of magazines, and therefore more difficult to create content for – please feel free to email us at Magazine@GeekyFreaky.com if you have any questions about the type of content we are looking to publish for specific issues.
- Have limited nudity – we are Geeky Freaky after all – but nothing pornographic (for now).
- Be free of watermarks.
- Arrive as individual pictures only, please. Please do not send us collages or anything with formatting or layout already attempted.
Please email hi-res images either as an attachment, Dropbox link, or WeTransfer file to Magazine@GeekyFreaky.com along with all credits, social media or website links you would like included, and a short 1-2 paragraph blurb about the shoot. Once your work has been received, expect a response within the next two weeks. You will be asked to fill out a release form at this time if your work is accepted. If you haven’t gotten a response feel free to email us at Magazine@GeekyFreaky.com
Interested in advertising with us? Half page ads are available for $50 and full page ads for $100.
Interested in being a featured artist? We have people in mind to feature for each of these issues, but we welcome suggestions too! Feel free to suggest a collaborator, friend OR yourself. We are always on the lookout for new geeky freaks to include in our lineup.
Spring 2018 (releases in March): Cospaint
Submission Period: November 2017-March 4th 2018
Summer 2018 (releases in June): Geek Fetish
Submission Period: March 5th 2018 – June 3rd 2018
Fall 2018 (releases in September): Dark Future
Submission Period: June 4th 2018 – September 2nd 2018
Winter 2018 (releases in December): Practical Effects
Submission Period: September 3rd 2018 – December 2nd 2018