‘Io Saturnalia’ Join the Baronies of Angels and Altavia for a topsy turvy celebration of ‘Romans vs Vikings’ Holiday celebration. We will feast, drink, dance, play games, have contests, and award new Bardic and Chess Champions, all the while showing off our finest festive Roman or Viking garb. The night’s events include:
• Best Table-Decorating Contest: (Tables are round and seat 8.)
• Best Garb Contest: Roman or Viking
• Culinary Contest: Best Dish
• Championships: Altavia Chess and Bardic Champion / Angels Chess and Seraph Bard Champion
Our Bardic competitions will be held concurrently (i.e., contestants for either of the two Baronies will perform in one competition), the final results decided by consultations between the Barons and Baronesses. PLEASE keep your performance under FOUR minutes due to time restrictions. Those interested in competing should arrive on site no later than 4pm, prepared to perform.
The Yule Feast is potluck, so each person should bring a dish to serve at least 8. Please include an ingredient list as a courtesy to those with food allergies. Please also bring serving utensils and put your name on everything that you bring! Outlets for crock-pots will be available, but the kitchen is not available for cooking. All dishes should be brought completely cooked and/or ready to eat.
Potluck dish suggestions by SCA first name:
• A-H main dish
• I-O side dish
• P-Z dessert
There will be a revel after the feast with dancing and games!
We will be having a toy drive for charities. Please bring a new, unwrapped toy for donation.
There will also be children’s activities during the event.
• 3:00 pm – Site opens to the populace. For those interested in table decorating, come early and get started. We will also have games available at this time.
• 4:00 pm – 6:00 pm – Court, followed by the Yule Feast. Both the Angels and Altavia Bardic Champion competitions will be held during the feast.
• 6:30 pm – 10:00 pm – Revel (games and music)
• 10:00 pm – 10:45 pm – clean up
• 11:00 pm – Hall closes and everyone must be off site.
Location: St. Mary’s Proto-Cathedral Feast Hall, 5329 Sepulveda Blvd, Sherman Oaks, CA 91411
The hall is a separate building behind the Church. Pull into either driveway. The parking lot is behind the Church and the hall is at the back of the parking lot. This is a wet site. Enclosed candles are allowed. NO SMOKING inside the hall or on the Church property. Pets are NOT allowed except for service animals.
Registration: $13 for Potluck Feast and Revel or $8 with SCA membership. Children (ages 12 and below) well be guests of the barony for the event. Teenagers (13-18) will be $8, or $3 with an SCA membership. Please make checks payable to SCA, Inc / Barony of Altavia.
Event Stewards: THL Arianna Foxford